Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Demise of My Wits and Butter Jesus

About 11 last night, a horrendous thunderstorm swept through our area. Try sleeping through that! And to add to the fun, our roof was not even half done. I worried about the heavy rain and didn't get much sleep. No damage fortunately and the roofers were back at work at 6:30 this morning. (Our neighbors LOVE us!)

Then, I learned this morning that the six-story tall statue of Jesus near our home was struck by lightening and destroyed! The locals called that statue "Butter Jesus" or "Touchdown Jesus". Agreed, the statue was horrendous, gaudy, and not my concept of what Jesus represents, but its destruction should not invite the kind of anti-Christian sentiments I'm hearing around the office and on the radio. Until now, I didn't think people despised our faith. Perhaps this should be a wake-up call.

Sewing? Very little. For some reason, the overhead light in my sewing room isn't working and it was dark when I had a few minutes to spare last night. I may avoid quilting again tonight - straight to bed after dinner. Between Smudge's antics the night before and the storm last night, my "tail" is dragging today.

Love ya,
Cathy

3 comments:

Moneik said...

I'm seriously going to miss touch down Jesus and I'm so glad I got to see it last year. Hope you get some much needed rest.

Jennifer said...

Oh, so sorry to head about touchdown Jesus....he was the highlight of our drive to retreat last year! But glad to hear your house was spared, hope you get some rest tonight!

Linda said...

I'm one of those rare folks who never liked that statue, but having it struck by lightning was quite a shock (no pun intended).