Monday, November 30, 2009

I'm So Bad!

My sincere apologies for not posting for over a month. I've recovered quite nicely from my hysterectomy and am back to work as of this morning. Seems very strange to be at the office. Everyone else is returning from a break of four days, so it's VERY quiet here.

Until 10 days ago, I really didn't feel like getting into a "sewing" frame of mind. But once that bug hit me, I spent a lot of time in the sewing room, provided my energy level kept up. So, here's what I've done lately:

-finished the binding on my boss' retirement/signature quilt
-finished the quilting and binding on a scrap quilt
-quilted and bound two Christmas wall hangings
-cut, pieced, quilted and bound a bright pink and black quilt for my son's girlfriend for Christmas
-cut, pieced, quilted and bound a quilt for my mother and her husband for Christmas
-cut and pieced a "Christmas Is" wall hanging
-quilted and bound Andrea's black and white quilt

Couple of notes regarding some of the above: The black and white quilt was the one I started at the St. Jude's s retreat in the spring. Also, the quilt for my mom is based on the "cheater" panel I showed to some gals at the same retreat - It had quotes from the Bible on it and I wanted suggestions on what to do with it. Well pleased with how it turned out.

I will post photos of all these items as soon as I can get my photographer (aka Michael) motivated to help out.

Speaking of Michael, he's doing as well as can be expected. He's using oxygen more and more as his lungs get progressively worse. He refuses to see the doctor. When my mother was here he told her he wasn't going to survive the winter. He told his own mum that as well when she phoned last week. Leah, his eldest daughter, phoned a couple of days ago and he mentioned it to her as well. Whether it's true or not, I have no clue, but it pains me to hear him tell our loved ones that. He was as good as he can be during my recovery - got up every day, except one, to make sure Andrea got off to school. He fetched me a cup of tea every now and then and fixed meals several times.

Meals were no problem - my co-workers, neighbors and sister-in-law made sure nobody in our house starved the first few days after I returned home from the hospital. In addition, my brother and his family came over one night and raked the leaves in our yard - a mammoth task. I'm so grateful for all their help!

So, it's back to normal now: work, home, etc. attempting to squeeze in as much sewing as possible. I have some items that must be done for Christmas gifts, but that list has definitely gone down in the last week. I'm not setting myself up to be rushed on anything this year. If I don't have the time, store-bought gifts are in order.

If I learned one thing during my time away, it's this: Take it easy. Stuff will get done when it gets done. No body's going to judge me by how clean my house is or how many quilts I get done. I'm into having a serene, loving environment/attitude.

Maybe the hormone patches ARE working.



jillquilts said...

Glad to see that you are 'back!' I was going to send you a welcome back email, but this will suffice. lol

And considering the surgery, you got tons done! Way to go! I can't wait for pictures!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

So glad to see your post! Sounds like things are going well and that's great! You've been missed. Take care and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!

Linda and Piwacket said...

I'm so glad that you're recovering and that you had your mom there with you. Love you lots. Keep on getting strong and healthy.