Monday, July 6, 2009

Getting Better

There's nothing like three days off work to re-charge and feel better about life. Especially when you can do things you enjoy.

I spent a great deal of my time in the sewing room this holiday weekend. Thursday night I quilted four placemats which have languished in my UFO stack for months. I attached the binding and started the hand sewing the next day. The kit that I bought at the Lebanon quilt show last month was next on the hit list and I finished all the piecing on it. Since Joann's was having a 4th of July sale, I headed over there for a few items and found a comfort quilts book for 40 percent off. I raided my scrap bin and pieced together one of the patterns from that book on Saturday - very pleased with that!

When we had dinner with my sister-in-law, Karen, on Friday night, she mentioned they are returning to Haiti on a mission trip this October. She wants to especially support a sewing school. I asked her if she'd be interested in some materials and threads from my stash and she was real enthusiastic about that idea. I went through five of my stash bins and found A LOT of fabric that no longer suited my needs or likes. I had a ton of thread too that I don't use since I decided when I really got into quilting that I only want to use Guetterman for piecing. Imagine Karen's face when I lugged forty pounds of fabric and a two-gallon Ziploc bag of thread into her house!

Andrea, my brother and I went to the Reds game yesterday - boo, hiss they stink! But, I love going to their games nonetheless.

Michael's about the same - angry. He won't use his medicine or oxygen when he should. He went to work on Friday and I fully expected him to turn in his two week notice, but he chose not to for some reason. Friday morning was lovely for me - got up when I felt like getting out of bed, leisurely breakfast, sewing. I looked at the time close to 10:15 and started having palpitations when I realized it was nearly time for him to come home. Such a drastic change for me - not long ago, I couldn't WAIT to see him every day. I've decided to not fight back when he says hurtful things or criticize my actions - it creates too much tension. And that affects Andrea. She has done nothing to deserve that kind of atmosphere in her home.

The first part of this week is busy - guild meeting tonight, dinner out tomorrow, and a counseling appointment on Wednesday night after Michael's session with the new pulmonologist. I'll need another weekend by then!

Hugs,
Cathy

2 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed your weekend! I'm so sorry that you were dreading Michael's return from work! That's awful to have to realize that about someone that you love. I'm glad that you will be at Guild tonight! Now I'm really looking forward to it!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Glad you had some "down" time for yourself. Sounds like this was just what you needed.