Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Keeping It Calm

My goal in this world at present is to keep things as they are. Especially with Michael. His lung disease goes into periods when it's not doing more damage and then other times it goes downhill rapidly. I think we're on a plateau presently. He's not able to do much around the house without having lung issues. So, he's content with running a small E-Bay business, posting on Facebook, and communicating on a variety of model railroad forums. Toss in a derogatory remarks about the pets from time to time and we know he's OK. LOL I still find myself making sure he's breathing at night. He woke up this morning with the oxygen tube poked in his eye. A lot of good that did him! He talks back to the radio commentators, yells about the television broadcaster's accents and proclaims all American football players are fat-assed wussies. Whenever Andrea or I complain about his horrible sense of humor or how much he moans, he responds, "You'll miss me when I'm gone."

No doubt.

Started working on a Nickel quilts pattern - Labor Day - how appropriate. The thing that's great about this pattern is that I'll have enough bonus squares to make a second totally different quilt. I had 15 minutes to spare before I had to leave for work this morning, so I went into the sewing room and did a bit of stitching. (Thank you, Bonnie Hunter, for that idea!)

Linda forwarded a terrific web site to me this morning - Sew Inspired Pine Needles Sewing Center newsletter. Great idea on how to use scrap fabric using two shoe boxes. I may try that this weekend and see what kind of progress I can make on using my stash.

One of my friends at work has gotten back into quilting thanks to my intervention and enabling. LOL She was at the quilt show in Sharonville this past weekend and talked with Julie Lambert, machine quilting expert. My friend, Kathy, is all pumped up about taking one of Julie's classes next month in Dayton and convinced me to go along as well. Something to look forward to....

What I'm not looking forward to is the dentist this afternoon. Thank goodness it's the last appointment in this procedure.

Hugs,
Cathy

3 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Labor Day? I don't recognize that one. I will have to look in my books when I get home tonight. I am definitely looking forward to a 3 day weekend though! If only it wasn't Open House day at the shop on Saturday....

Anonymous said...

I am lucky enough to live 2 hours from Pine Needles. In fact I bought my machine there. Do you know that in the next 4 months, they are offering 400 classes! This shop can not be beat! It's located in Cedar Rapids, IA. Everyone there is so friendly. Their machine service department is top-notch!

Linda said...

You're the real deal, sweetie. And everything that you're going through is going to be used in ways that we cannot possibly see right now. For one thing, it's already bringing you and Andrea even closer. You are modeling for her how one faces a huge challenge. I am so proud to know you.

Hugs and love forever,
Linda and Pi