Friday, April 30, 2010


We're coming to the close of our first week with Hospice. Words cannot begin to describe how grateful I am for their loving care and coordination. The nurse has been by the house twice to evaluate Michael, we have all new oxygen equipment, tons of medication, a shower chair and a lot of literature to read. The thing that appears to have helped Michael the most is a small dose of anti-anxiety medication that he takes just before going to bed at night. He slept through the night for the first time in months! That meant a lot to him. Hospice has advised us to make sure he gets his rest, a little bit of exercise and fresh air. Sooooooo, Andrea and I took him to the park near our house after dinner - first time we used the new wheelchair. At first, Michael felt like a dork, but later admitted it felt good to get out. One other item Hospice is going to provide is a panic button that will activate my cell phone when I'm out of earshot and Michael needs me.

Spoke with my Mother on the phone - their trip to China was spectacular and she can't wait to show me all 460 photos they took!

I finished my Very Badly bad and I am thrilled with the final product! May even gather up my courage and work on another one soon. Right now, though, I want to work on a red-white and blue Boxy Stars quilt - courtesy of Bonnie Hunter and Quiltville. I found some lovely blue and red fabric on the discount table at Seams Sew Easy earlier this week.

The other news at Chez Howe: our insurance company has agreed to foot the bill for a new roof. Expected delivery: three weeks from now. Michael said he was worried about the roof and feels a huge relief that I won't be saddled with that expense and effort after he's gone. Our other "thorn" - the broken window seal is being taken care of as well. Home Depot agreed the window was under guarantee and we did buy it from them - (duh, moment here, folks) and they've ordered the replacement. Once that's arrived, it'll be interesting to see how they want it handled since we certainly cannot pick it up and Michael's in no shape to install it.

So, it's been a busy week and it's not over yet. There's a social worker from Hospice at the house right now meeting Michael. More to come.......

Love ya,


BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You are all in my prayers, Cathy. I found Hospice to be a Godsend when I had my husbands Grandparents. They are like angels with all they do.

d ann said...

I started reading your blog a few months ago. I admire your courage and will keep you in my prayers.