Wednesday, August 19, 2009

An About Face!

When Michael received the letter from Social Security on Saturday, he was very downcast about the whole ordeal. Me? I sprang into "action". I composed a dignified letter to SSA, completed the reconsideration form and e-mailed our congressman. Before I had the chance to mail anything, we heard back from a congressional aide. Turns out the letter was sent in error! Michael's claim is still open and its fate rests in the hands of the British equivalent of SSA. Ms. Holmes also stated they sincerely apologized for the error and any distress it may have caused. It could be about 60 days before we know the final decision, but at least it's still in the works. Keep your fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, in the sewing room, I've started piecing together all the blocks for my boss' retirement quilt. The last of the autograph blocks was returned to me yesterday. I'll have Michael take photos of the work in progress since it's really looking nice. I have no idea what fabric to use for the borders since the quilt is so scrappy.

Speaking of scrappy, I've pieced 17 blocks of the star quilt we began in Friday's Bonnie Hunter workshop. That scrappy look is really growing on me. Good thing, too, since I have enough fabric in my stash to keep that up for YEARS!

No one likes the ultra-humid weather we'd had thus far this week. Poor Michael struggles so with it to the point where he won't go outside after 10 am. It even felt humid in the gym this morning, so their AC units must be struggling.

One more week and Miss Andrea returns to school. I've already been on the phone with her guidance counselor to get one class changed, made the annual haircut appointment, scheduled an eye exam and bought a few school clothes. She's also begging for me to take her to the new outlet mall north of our house. She will have to wait for that - until next payday.

Michael, bored with just staying home all day, has created his own little E-Bay business. So far, just selling a bunch of railroad layout models he created over the years. He's also buying stuff with the intention of fixing it up and then re-selling it.

Tattoo Boy might as well be a ghost for as often as we see him. When he's not working, he's with his girl friend. He got some financial aid lined up for school which helps him a lot. His classes don't start for another month.

As for me, no medical appointments this week. The fun and games begin again next week with work on the bad toothy and urology tests. I have no clue when I'll be able to schedule the surgery - we have two rounds of urology tests first. Definitely want to get it done this year since we've already reached our out of pocket maximum and we have no idea what Obama-care is going to do with our benefits.

So, that is all the news from 200 Furbee Drive!



jillquilts said...

OH, Cathy!! That is great news about the SSA stuff!! I'm so glad to hear it! And I can't wait to see pictures of everything that you've been doing with the signature quilt and the stars that you have finished. I have been too busy this week to do anything but come home and sleep so you are doing great!! :)

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Hi Cathy, I have not been around much lately,sorry! Keep us posted on what happens with the medical appointments.
Hugs Fern