Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where I'd Rather Be

Days like today are made for sewing. And I'd love to be in my sewing room right now working on my latest creation. Unfortunately, it's a work day and my employer doesn't think too kindly of its associates who report off work for a measly eight inches of snow.

It took me twice as long to drive to the office this morning, but I made it and only five minutes late. Half the processing staff has phoned off, but all us underwriters are here. That speaks volumes. At least it will give me a chance to catch up on the paperwork. We're taking bets - will corporate let us leave early. The odds are not in our favor.

Last night before all this lovely weather began, I drove to Valley Quilts in Trenton to pick up a pattern and a tool for a class I'm taking at church next Monday night. A bit out of the way, but I wasn't guaranteed to receive the items in time if I ordered them on-line. The project is a quilt-as-you-go item and should be an interesting challenge. If anything it'll allow me to use all the odd bits and pieces of batting I have as long as they're at least nine inches. Pleased that Valley Quilts helped me and even had the items under the counter saved for me. The first shop I phoned, which is closer to home, was less than helpful. The gal wouldn't even see if they had what I needed - told me I had to drive there and look for myself! It may be a while before I shop there again.

Once dinner was cleared last night, I settled into my favorite La-Z Boy and Smudge and I worked on the binding for the Thimbleberries wall hanging. We're about half-way done on it. (Smudge's favorite part of creating a quilt is the hand sewing since he can sit on my lap under the quilt.) Smudge kept me company in the sewing room over the weekend whilst I cut, pieced, quilted and bound a lap-sized Shoo Fly quilt. The quilt is now winging its way to the lucky recipient in Atlanta.

Michael's portable oxygen system was damaged over the weekend by Daisy! Dear, sweet little Daisy couldn't resist chewing on the cannula and tubing when it was left on the sofa. Chewed? She demolished it - bit and pieces everywhere. Fortunately, Michael wasn't upset and even laughed about it. The new materials are on their way. Just means Michael has to use the at home concentrator until they arrive. He's certainly not going anywhere in this weather!

Stay warm and dry!


No comments: