Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thangles?

"You've never worked with Thangles?" the shop owner said in disbelief. "No," said I hanging my head in shame. "Well, you're in for a real treat and you'll never do half-square triangles any other way," she boasted. Well, quilt bloggers, we shall see. All this came about since I didn't have the companion angle the pattern called for and the store didn't have one in stock. Anybody have some advice to share with these Thangles?

I'm off to the fabric store at lunchtime today to see if they have any more of the pawprint fabric I've used with some of the split decision quilts I made earlier this year. I used it in the Stash Pot Pie top I'm working on right now, but I don't think I'll have enough for the ribbon-style border.

Oh, and I did the UNMENTIONABLE again. Ordered a book and more fabric from Quilt in A Day. One of the gals in the Stash Pot Pie class made a Halloween quilt and got me to thinking I'd like one as well, so I ordered the 10 yards special of Halloween fabric, some chicken fabric to make potholders for my Mum, and a book (half off). Got brave and ordered a pair of Crocs as well on line. I tried on a pair last Friday, but the store didn't have the colour I wanted.

SCHOOL STARTS TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY! happy dance, happy dance.......

Bad news runs in threes?

I'm waiting for the third shoe to drop, then. My dear friend at work learned her beautiful young daughter is heavily into drug use - they found cocaine and a big bag of marijuana in this girl's room. Put that together with the signs they've seen lately - my friend and her husband are devastated. They're waiting a day to confront their daughter, but the drugs were taken out of her room, so surely the girl knows her parents are aware. Please keep them in your thoughts. It's a tough thing to go through. Another friend, here at the office, was happily expecting her first grandchild in early January. Her daughter miscarried last night. My heart aches for that little family - I was so happy that my friend asked me to create a quilt for the new baby. I had the top done, so it'll just stay in the closet until there are happier times for them.

An answer to my prayer?
Tattoo Boy is going back to college - he's determined to take the ACT exam in October and hopefully enroll in the University of Cincinnati by winter term. I chatted on the phone with him for 30 minutes about his education plans and a lot of other things. I guess children do emerge from their teen years and are normal human beings again, after all.

The weather report this morning made me jump for joy! Fall-like temperatures by the weekend! As much as I depend on air conditioning, I still hate the fact that we have to use it. There's nothing better than opening up all the windows and getting fresh, cool air in the house.

Keep Stitchin'!

1 comment:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Well, there is nothing better than open windows except when you have a d*mn yappy, poodle who sounds like he right outside your window with everything locked up tight! OH, sorry - just feeling bad for myself!

I use Thangles and Triangles on a roll all the time. They are super easy!