Friday, February 6, 2009

Thawing Out!

The sun is shining and things are finally beginning to melt in southwestern Ohio. Mind you, it's going to take an extended period of above-average temperatures and loads of sun to melt some of the mega-piles of snow and ice we have around here, but there are spots of earth showing here and there. Perhaps that ground hog fellow was wrong? One can always dare to hope.

Haven't spent a ton of time in my sewing room as of late. To begin with, I'm still suffering from Quilters Overload Syndrome - I keep reinfecting myself by reading Thimbleberries books and shuffling through fabric. Here is what I have in mind for the mess I have on my hands with the fabric. I want to go through all the totes of fabric and if any fabric is less than a yard, I'm slicing it up into strips of 5", 2 and 1/2" and 1 and 1/2" I have a separate tote for each of those sizes and have accumulated a rather respectable representation of my stash thus far. The fabric cuts of larger than a yard are all getting re-folded in a consistent manner and stored in the larger, longer totes. This task will take a long, long time to complete, but when I'm done I'll be in a great shape to start any of the scrappy Nickel quilts I'm constantly drooling over. Won't it be fantastic to go to retreat in April armed with totes of nickel squares?

My intention is to get a decent amount of sewing accomplished this weekend. In other words - get my fix in. I missed sewing this week - the weather wore me to a frazzle or I should say my fellow Cincinnati drivers worked on my nerves so I just couldn't face the Pfaff without messing up whatever I worked on.

Looking forward to getting out of the office, take the family to Skyline for dinner and then depositing them somewhere whilst I go to the new Joann's that opened in Mason today. Not sure if there are any grand opening specials - have been unable to find any adverts or flyers for it. But, just the thought that Joann's is going to be soooooooooooo close is a miracle for me. You don't know how many times I've moaned about having to drive close to 40 minutes to get to a fabric store. Now, just ten minutes.

I'm feeling a bit down today since Michael's youngest daughter and her husband are getting close to splitting up for good. We flew to England last year for their wedding and one would have never dreamed that young couple would be so far apart now. What happened? From the accounts we have, the husband found a job - his first real job - and has discovered the joys of having co-workers, friends and some disposable income. One of the new friends has become real close to him and is - doubly unfortunate - a female. He goes out with this gal, texts her constantly and they exchange loads of e-mails. Now, what bride wouldn't be upset? Poor Lizzie want that friendship over with and her life with her husband to return to what it was. It doesn't help when Lizzie's mum (Michael's ex-wife) and one of her older sisters are trying to convince her to leave him for good. The oldest sister has a level head and has been trying to get the couple to at least talk. At the moment, they're together for a week's trial. This has to be disturbing Michael too since he's so far away and Lizzie is his favorite child. He can't phone her since she doesn't have a phone and he can't e-mail because the estranged husband is on the computer constantly and would intercept any communication. We've been told that would make things worse. Families are rarely easy work and when they're as dysfunctional as Michael's - look out!

1 comment:

Gina said...

What an awful situation for Michael and you.
Maybe the husband will see sense and stay. Mind you if he's the sort of person to have his head turned by the first woman who pays him any attention perhaps she's better off without him.

Love and hugs Gina xxx