Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Past, Present and Future

Now that I think about it 2009 was a good year for me with my quilting. Here's a short list of my activities:

-Attended the St. Jude's Retreat in Palestine, Ohio for the second straight year. Plenty of PEEPS at the 2009 version. What will 2010 bring?
-Traveled to Columbus for the NQA show - The quilts were an inspiration and the vendors were a drain on my checking account (LOL)
-Visited quilt shows in Lebanon, South Lebanon and Sharonville
-Improved my binding skills dramatically.
-Became more proficient in putting quilts on the frame
-Accompanied Jill to the quilt show in Indianapolis to share in her joy of winning a ribbon!
-Participated in my first quilting workshop in Indianapolis hosted by Bonnie Hunter. Shared the trip and room with Linda of Piwacket fame and had a lovely time
-As a result of the above-mentioned workshop, I'm more in-tune with using what I have and saving scraps. (Those scraps cost $8 a yard too, per Bonnie.)

So, what initially seemed to be a ho-hum year was pretty fantastic filled with quilting, excellent friends both on-line and in person. I'm finishing the last of the sewing-related gifts and feeling oh so good about my small piece of the world three days before Christmas.

I'm happy.

Michael's lung disease is definitely progressing, but he's here now and I'm enjoying the time I have left with him. Still no definitive word from Social Security about his claim - it's in the hands of the English system now. I've provided for my small family as best as I can. Sure, it would be nice to have more money saved. But we have presents for under the tree, plenty of food and the bills are current. Loads of folks can't say that.

My children continue to bring happiness into the house with their talents, friends and schoolwork. Tattoo Boy may look weird, but he has the artistic talent which will take him as far as his imagination will allow. Andrea may discover her future lies in teaching or counseling. She has such a wonderful caring attitude about everything.

As I unpack the Christmas decorations every year, I wonder what will my life be like when they're unpacked again next year. Like Scrooge, I find the Ghost of Christmas future the most frightening one of all. But old Ebeneezer and I have both discovered that as long as you have faith, family and friends things will turn out just fine and even better than before!

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and the best of all things possible in 2010!

Hugs,
Cathy

3 comments:

Gina said...

What a lovely upbeat post.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Well said! Merry Christmas to you! Enjoy the time with your family this week!! :)

Jennifer said...

What a great reflection on the year. I wish you and your family a very merry christmas!