Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Things I Learned At the Retreat

This was my second ESA/St Jude's Retreat and by far was the most enjoyable time I've had at any retreat. (Course, last year, the only person I knew going into the weekend was Jill.) This year, I felt like I had a whole group of ready-made friends waiting for me. Linda (Piwacket's mum) and I drove to the retreat together. So we had a chance to gab and shop at Valley Quilts before arriving at the center.

So, without further ado, here is what I LEARNED:

-It's useless to try to stay on Weight Watchers during this weekend with all the great meals we were served. I hadn't had a proper dessert in ages and the treats we had nearly sent me into a sugar-driven high. Wonderful stuff! Trust me when I say it was absolute luxury having someone else do the cleaning up as well.
-Crawling into the top bunk is a work out by itself. But once I was up there, it was OK.
-Cindy discovered the floor is harder than her body with her bunk bed attempt. Poor gal!
-Becca gives the impression that she's SO soft-spoken and nice. Just wait until the Left,Right and Center dice surface and she turns into Las Vegas Gertrude! Talk about a hard-core fat quarter gambler. (Love you, Becca!)
-Midnight is not the time to start ripping out mistakes.
-NEVER, EVER give DD her choice in quilts again! I'm still seeing black and white spots.
-Fabric from Connecting Threads is marvelous stuff - so soft and good to work with.
-Linda's every bit one of the nicest people I've ever met. And she's just as addicted to quilting as me.
-Jill needs to be banned from all future raffles! (Just teasing, Jill!) And thank you for the fabric.
-I can win too! I won a lap quilt during lunch on Saturday, a fabric calculator, a baby quilt kit, kids' quilts pattern book, and batting.
-The small gifts/table favors at each meal were so cute. They sure gave me a lot of ideas for gifts for my co-workers this Christmas.
-Next year, I will have all my fabric cut ahead of time.
-It's absolutely, positively marvelous to get away from home for a few days.
-The Peeps are genuinely all nice, creative, beautiful women.
-Never, ever get Sherry (aka Angry White Woman) ticked off.
-Never in the history of quilting have two days gone by faster!
-I'll be there again next year.

Well, it's back to reality. More about that later........
Hugs,
Cathy

6 comments:

Moneik said...

I had a great time and it was so nice meeting you too.

Cindy said...

I had a wonderful time too and it was so great getting to meet everyone. It's easier now to blog since I can put a face with a blog name. I'm already counting down to next year.

Becca Quilts said...

I had a wonderful time, and I'm so glad I got to meet you!

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you! Isn't it nice to spend a whole weekend with a bunch of like-minded peeps? I had so much fun!

Jennifer said...

What a great list...I may just have to point people here from my blog! Good to meet you and hope to see you again next year!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

What a great weekend. It was so nice to meet you! I love your list and I agree with all of it! Can't wait til next year.