Friday, January 8, 2010

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Ohio In The Winter
It's winter in Ohio,
And the gentle breezes blow,
Seventy miles an hour,
At twenty-five below.
Oh how I love Ohio
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter air
And your nose gets frozen shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful,
I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave Ohio,
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground.
- Anon
That pretty neatly sums up my life in the last few days. Cancelled schools, blowing snow, a furnace that struggles to keep the house warm.
Ah, but all is roasty, toasty in the sewing room with my new space heater. Just close the door and I'm set for hours! Until my family discovers where I'm hiding! They open the door and state their reasons for disturbing my solitude. And for stupid things too. "I'm hungry. When's dinner?" "We're outta milk." "The cat puked on the floor." "Daisy won't go outside - the snow's up to her belly." (translation, mom needs to shovel a path) or my all-time favorite - "I'm bored."
Needless to say, my suggestion that boredom is best solved by using a snow shovel falls on pretty deaf ears. The whining stops however.
Michael moved part of his railroad layout into my dining room from the garage. I know the cold air makes it impossible for him to be in the garage. But, MY dining room? The nicest room in the house? Somehow an O gauge layout looks like g-a-r-b-a-g-e next to my cherry china cabinet. I'm told it's just temporary.
When does spring arrive?

No comments: