Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Whirlwind Weekend

I didn't think it was possible for three days to go by any faster, but they certainly did! And I have the aching legs to prove it! LOL

Friday was girly day - took Andrea shopping for a new swimsuit, used bookstore to stock up on summer reading and had lunch together. Then, we hit the thrift stores. I was specifically looking for a small backpack to take with me on the bus trip to the NQA show on Saturday, which I found. What was unexpectedly discovered really, really pleased me - quilting books a whole stack of them! I went bonkers and purchased eight of them. I'm now regretting that I didn't purchase the ones still at the shop, so I may go back this coming weekend to see if they're still there. Andrea then showed me how to work her digital camera so I could borrow it on Saturday.

OMG, the NQA show was amazing. Jill and Patrice accused me of being tight when I didn't buy anything at first, but in reality I was just in a state of shock by all the quilt stuff in one locale. It was overwhelming. It didn't take too long, however, for me to get into the swing of things. I purchased a lot of half-yard cuts, five new patterns, two pairs of silver charm earrings, an NQA pin, an NQA tote bag, a Quilt-In-A-Day mug, a "cheater" Christmas lap quilt top, a very cute snack-oriented quilt kit and of course a Quilt-In-A-Day book which Eleanor Burns autographed for me. Patrice was kind enough to take my photo with Eleanor which I'll post later tonight when I get home and can sort through the 60 or more photos that I snapped on Saturday. I gotta tell you, Eleanor is just like she seems on the PBS programs - funny and very personable.

The show quilts were inspiring - I took loads of photos - some just for inspiration on colour selection and quilting methods. More than once I thought to myself "Hey, I can do that too!" But, seriously, I don't think I'll ever attain the level of perfection that many of the quilts clearly displayed.

All in all, it was a great day and I'm pleased to have spent it with Jill and Patrice. The bus trip was well worth the money and I'm already looking forward to next year's show.

After all that walking on Saturday, it was great to sleep in on Sunday until 8:30. Michael and I spent the best part of Sunday afternoon digging up weeds and tap roots. UGH! I'm still sore from all that yard work. Almost made me grateful to return to work on Monday. Notice, I said "almost". LOL


Gina said...

I'm glad you had a great time.

I don't buy straight away when I go to shows either. I like to walk around and spot the good bargains first.

love and hugs xxx

jillquilts said...

I had a great time on Saturday, too! It was a lot of fun running around with you a Patrice! :)