Monday, June 2, 2008

Family Matters - Goofy Sister-In-Law

I'm trying my very best not to be upset or too critical about something my sister-in-law (SIL) did this weekend. Here's in a nutshell what happened. My brother (DB) passed out in their bathroom on Saturday night and continued to black out several times before she phoned 911. (Now, remember, folks, both she and my brother are health care professionals) Once at the hospital, DB was put on fluids and was told basically he was overdoing it with the weight loss and running - something everybody in our family (except SIL) has been thinking for the past few months. He was discharged and is feeling better, still exhausted though.

Now, here comes the interesting part, SIL informed us what happened via e-mail and attached photos of DB laying in a hospital bed looking very grey and tired. There were about 50 people on that mailing, including my mother. My husband read the e-mail and told me to immediately phone Mom -that kind of news should be told over the phone and we didn't think she should read about it and see those photos. Too late, she'd already opened her e-mail and was crying. You see, my DB is the spitting image of my father, who had several heart attacks and passed on 17 years ago. Those photos brought back a lot of bad memories for Mom and me. DB is two years younger than my daddy was when he had his first heart attack.

Now, seriously, what do you all think about this? I don't know what to think. I know SIL didn't intend to be mean or slight anybody, but my immediate family thinks she's fruit loops, that she should have phoned us. On the other hand, SIL probably wanted to tell as many folks as she could about the episode and used the e-mail route.

I could tell y'all loads more about SIL, but I'll save that for another post. She is decidedly different than most people and given her occupation - nurse- thinks she knows everything about medicine to the point where she ignores advice given by doctors to herself and her family. For instance, one of her sons was having psych issues - pulling his hair out (there's a medical term for that, but it escapes me at the moment) The psychiatrist they took him to said under no circumstances should they shave that boy's head. So, what does she do? Poor kid got his head shaved and then he proceeded to pluck out his eyebrows. He was a strange looking little dude for a few months.

Back to something loads more fun - quilting. I quilted Split Decision - Cats this weekend and will start the binding process tonight after the guild meeting. It was my first attempt at dwirling and I have to admit that I was hesitant at first. But, I'm very, very pleased with the finished product.

Michael and I got the flower bed by the mailbox replanted - the one destroyed by the wreckless driver six weeks ago. It looks even better than before the accident. My arms are a tad sore today from toting landscape bricks. The joys of homeownership!


Gina said...

Even if she wanted to tell as many people as possible, your SIL could have phoned your mother. It's a bit impersonal.
My SIL did something similar. When my MIL died she phoned her hubby who was working away and left a message on his works answerphone.

love and hugs xxx

jillquilts said...

She sounds like a piece of work! I hope that he is doing better. And I'm glad taht you were able to work on the flowerbed.

Anonymous said...

I am the SIL mentioned in Gina's comment above - I have decided to defend myself on all blog comments Gina has made which are either blatant lies or derogatory about me or my family in any way. I can not believe she has written such complete and utter lies about the day my MIL passed away. My husband is completely and utterly taken aback by this. Yes indeed my husband was working away at the time - the rest is a complete fabrication on Gina's part. My MIL passed away in the early hours of the morning and my FIL phoned around 5.20 am to say my MIL had passed away and that he had tried to telephone his son but could not get an answer on the home phone. I too tried in vain until eventually a co-lodger at the address where he lived answered the phone and went to get my husband. I then had the unenviable task of having to inform him that his mother had passed away. Three hours later by about 9.30 a.m. he was home having driven about 300 miles to get there. I at no point left a message on his works phone why would I when at 6 in the morning I knew that he would not have been there and just kept trying the house phone. To be honest I do not know why I am justifying her comments in this way but I am so fed of up of the constant lies and attention seeking comments that Gina leaves on various blogs (many of which years down the line I am just coming across.