Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy President's Day!

Even though I do not have the day off work today, I'm grateful for President's Day since 1. the traffic was so light, 2. I didn't have to get Miss Andrea up and off to school and 3. the fabric sales. One of my co-workers gave me a coupon for Hancock Fabrics, so I'm headed there at lunchtime.

One thing I want to pick up there is a bunch of cream coloured fabric for a cat quilt I'm making. I started a few pieces for that yesterday, but didn't like how the cats looked with the mauve background. Too much competition for the eye, so I figured a neutral colour would work better. Hancock is also the only place within driving distance that I can find cotton fabric for the University of Michigan. Now, don't go calling me a traitor - my nephew Wesley is a U of M fan. It would be nice if I could get a quilt done for him and his brother for Christmas. Funny story with that U of M fabric. Last Christmas, I made Wes pillowcases from the school fabric and joked that my machine had a rough time navigating that fabric. Michael overheard the comment and freaked out. "Bloody hell, we just had that machine in for servicing," he yelled. We had to explain to him the whole OSU vs. Michigan deal and since I'm an OSU graduate, my machine hates Michigan as well, etc..... Poor Michael - he is certainly disadvantaged when it comes to talk concerning sports, schools and politics in this country.

Like I mentioned I started working on the cats and am really please with how they're pieced. It should be a relatively easy quilt to get done.

Michael and I went to Bev and Martin's for dinner on Saturday night. Martin fixed some very yummy fish and chips. I wish they lived closer to us. Michael and Martin have so much in common.

Mom phoned yesterday. Her surgery is still on for Wednesday. She's sounding very nervous and I wish I could be there for her. I just can't leave work and my family for two or three days at this point. She promised that Ken would phone to let us know the surgery's over, etc.

Oh, two miracles happened on Saturday. First, I lost 2.4 pounds at WI! Talk about happy dancing! The second - Danny paid me the $325 he owed me for his plane ticket. Danny also mentioned that he wants to return to school in the fall! I know it won't be easy for him, but I'll do whatever I can to support his education goal. He's talking Cincinnati School of Art and Design or Dayton's art school. The school in Dayton accepted him prior to graduation, so I don't think he'll have any problem getting into a program.

Hugs,
Cathy

No comments: