Monday, February 11, 2008

Productive Weekend

It all started on Friday night - I was inspired! A year ago, I started a Turning 20 quilt, but stopped about 2/3 of the way done. I finished the top on Friday! On Saturday, I attended the second Stash Busting class at Best Friends quilt shoppe - picked up the backing for the Laurel Burch quilt and showed the rest of the class my Buckeye quilt - see Jill's blog for a photo. Jan, the shop owner, gave us another pattern for the class and a lovely piece of French apple pie. Yum! Who cares about weigh in - it sucked this Saturday anyways! Well, the new pattern is rather complicated looking. I looked through my stash for ideas and promptly scratched the idea of a cat based fabric for the main blocks. The pattern can be used with 9 patch, 4 patch or solid blocks. I've opted for the solid blocks. Finally settled on a print with baskets, apples, pears and vines for the main blocks and chose mostly solids for the lightening bolts throughout the 15 rows. I cut 172 of the main blocks on Saturday night and started sewing yesterday. I have four of the 15 rows finished and am well pleased with how it's shaping up. It's not difficult sewing, but I did make some mistakes - the triangle placement was off on 12 pieces and I had to rip all that out. It should be smoother sewing for the rest of it though. I'm PRAYING for loads of snow so I can stay home tomorrow and work on that quilt.

This week, I want to order the black batting I need for Lizzy's quilt and get the borders on that quilt as well. I'd love to have that one completely done by the end of the month so I'm not fretting about getting it done in time for the trip at the end of March.

Andrea's feeling much better. She spent the entire day Saturday in bed, which is probably what she needed. Yesterday, she felt well enough to ask to go to the movies with her friends and I told her no, it was too cold outside and I didn't want her pushing herself. She got up and off to school this morning with no moaning and when I told her she might get her snow day tomorrow, she REALLY perked up.

Mom phoned last night. We had a nice chat about a variety of topics - one was an upcoming family reunion in Cleveland this summer for my grandmother's side of the family. It's been YEARS since I've seen most of those folks. Even before Nana passed away, it was rare for us to see the Kimseys - usually at a wedding or funeral. In fact, I think the last time I saw many of them was at Nana and Papap's 50th wedding anniversary party and that was 17 years ago. I think I'd like to attend this reunion. Mom also said she talked with our cousins in Chicago. Very sad news from them - one cousin who I'm very fond of has been diagnosed with emphysema. His oldest daughter is now living the life of a hermit - she's gained hundreds of pounds, is living on welfare and is virtually unrecognizable according to her mum. It's too sad. And I wish there was something I could do to help her. It also brings a lot of things into perspective for me. After WI on Saturday, I was so upset about .8 gain, and a slight gain the week before. I shouldn't stress over it or the last 35 pounds that I want to lose when there are folks out there who are in far, far worse shape. And then I wonder, there but for the grace of God, go I.

On the stubborn man front, Michael is dragging his heels on getting oxygen at home. The therapist wants him to have access to it when he's working out. Michael's protesting the expense, but I told him to at least find out FIRST what it will cost before making up his mind. He's supposed to be working out and keeping a log of his efforts, but the most exercise he gets is walking from the bedroom to the office! He had a coughing fit this morning and blamed me for it - said my perfume choked him. What perfume? I haven't worn perfume in months, ever since I learned it could affect his breathing. He looks for REASONS for his coughing fits, other than the fact that he has a lung disease! Although I'm praying for snow tomorrow, winter can't end fast enough for me when it comes to Michael and his lungs. Warmer weather's so much easier for him. All the advice his therapist gives him about covering his mouth and nose with a warm scarf and other ways to protect his lungs are all ignored!

So, on to Monday..........

Hugs,
Cathy

No comments: